- What's On
- Next 7 Days
- Show Me Everything
- Current Events Diary
- Gateshead International Jazz Festival
- New Year New Artists
- Classical Season
- For Families
- Festivals & Series
- Royal Northern Sinfonia
- Folkworks Summer Schools
- BBC Radio 3 Free Thinking Festival
- SummerTyne Americana Festival
- Folkworks Hexham Gathering
- Folkworks Pass It On
- Courses, Classes and Workshops
- News & Blogs
- Your Visit
- About Us
- Support Us
- Venue Hire
- Eat & Drink
A bespoke day of intermediate and advanced workshops for all instrumentalists and singers keen to expand their repertoire and technique.
This year we have an English theme and a team of fantastic tutors to help you take your musicianship to another level.
Each workshop is a stand-alone session, so you can book a selection of individual workshops to attend through the day.
The day will end with an informal sharing of the work from the final session.
£36 for The whole day (Three sessions), £15 per individual session. Only available from Ticket Offcie on 0191 443 4661.
Sam Sweeney is best known as a multi-instrumentalist member of folk mega-group Bellowhead. He plays with a virtuosic fluidity and grace and his workshops are sure to be but fun and challenging.
Stalwart of the demon Barber road show, Bryony Griffith is a fantastic English singer. Her workshops will give you repertoire and harmony, and an insight in to the tradition as she sees it today.
Jo Freya is well known for her use of transposing instruments within folk and traditional music with the band Blowzabella. Jo will inspire and teach you in a fun environment, whatever instrument you play.
As guitarist in the band Flook, Ed Boyd worked alongside Brian Finnegan and Sarah Allen to create arrangements that wowed a generation of folk music lovers.
Registration and welcome
10am, The Barbour Room
10.15 – 11.30am, Music Education Centre
- English Tunes with Sam Sweeney (intermediate, for fiddle)
- Ballads: the verses that won’t go away with Bryony Griffith (all levels, for voice)
- Rhythms – jigs, reels, and beyond! with Ed Boyd (intermediate, for guitar)
- Tunes for transposing instruments with Jo Freya (all levels)
11.45 – 1pm, Music Education Centre
- English Fiddle Technique with Sam Sweeney (advanced, for fiddle)
- Folk songs and Harmony with Bryony Griffith (all levels, for voice)
- Accompanying songs with ed Boyd (all levels, for guitar)
- European Tunes with Jo Freya (intermediate, for all instruments)
2 – 3.15pm, Music Education Centre
- Stomping Tunes for any instrument with Sam Sweeney (intermediate)
- Cheeky songs with Bryony Griffith (all levels, for voice)
- Tunes on Fretted instruments with Ed Boyd (advanced)
- Saxophone specific with Jo Freya (intermediate, for saxophone)
3.30pm, The Barbour Room
Folkworks Winter Workout Tea-time Ceilidh
Join us before the Winter Workout Concert for a free Ceilidh.
Folkworks Winter Workout Concert with Sam Sweeney, Bryony Griffith, Ed Boyd and Jo Freya
Four musicians brought together for the Winter Workout Day: Demon Barber’s Bryony Griffith, Bellowhead’s Sam Sweeney, Flook’s Ed Boyd and Blowzabella’s Jo Freya all perform solo, with the possibility of unique collaborations.