- What's On
- Next 7 Days
- Show Me Everything
- Current Events Diary
- Gateshead International Jazz Festival
- SummerTyne Americana Festival
- Great Exhibition of the North
- Classical Season
- New Year New Artists
- For Families
- Festivals & Series
- Royal Northern Sinfonia
- Folkworks Summer Schools
- BBC Radio 3 Free Thinking Festival
- Courses, Classes and Workshops
- News & Blogs
- Your Visit
- About Us
- Venue Hire
The World Service science programme which answers questions from listeners around the globe comes to the Free Thinking Festival for the first time. Join presenter Marnie Chesterton and help her answer questions about human behaviour in a group. She’s joined at Sage by Professor Bahador Bahrami, University College London; Dr Tali Sharot, University College London and Professor Stephen Reicher, University of St Andrews.
Are you the master of your own decisions? Independent-minded? A free spirit? Like it or not, the answer to these questions is almost certainly no. Because although we like to think we’re in control of our lives, in reality we are profoundly influenced by the choices, ideas and preferences of the people around us. But why do humans follow the crowd? And what is it that makes being part of the consensus so irresistible? The BBC CrowdScience team and our expert panel of neuroscientists, psychologists and social media gurus bring to Sage a session filled with fun experiments and insights into the origins of your inner sheep.
Marnie Chesterton presents the BBC World Service’s CrowdScience, the documentary series that takes her all over the world in search of answers to listeners’ questions about life, Earth and the universe. She is also a regular science and technology reporter for programmes including Radio 4’s Inside Science and the World Service’s Science in Action.
For your information…
- Phase one tickets will be available from 12noon on Monday 5 February, with phase two tickets available from 12noon on Monday 19 February.
- Tickets are strictly limited to four per person.
- To guarantee your ticket book in advance. There will be some tickets available on the day on a first come, first served basis.
- Please take your seats 10 minutes prior to the event start time otherwise you may lose your place.
Welcome to the Free Thinking Festival from BBC Radio 3. All weekend here at Sage Gateshead we’re gathering together a throng of talented individuals to wrestle, debate and celebrate the theme of this year’s festival: The One and the Many. Whether it’s the impact of social media,...