- What's On
- Courses, Classes and Workshops
- News & Blogs
- Your Visit
- About Us
- Venue Hire
Radio 3’s unique cabaret of the word, presented on stage by poet Ian McMillan with his array of guest performers.
Ian is joined by acclaimed musicians The Unthanks, known for their eclectic approach in combining traditional English folk, particularly Northumbrian folk music, with other musical genres.
The poet Hollie McNish is The Verb’s guest curator and winner of 2016 Ted Hughes Award for New Work in poetry for her poetic memoir about becoming a parent Nobody Told Me.
Ian’s also joined by Kirsty Taylor, a compelling new presence in the world of spoken word performance and one of the ‘Verb New Voices’, a joint initiative between BBC Radio 3, New Writing North, The Writing Squad and Arvon. Her new piece looks at children in the care system combining words, music and found sound.
Ian McMillan is a poet, journalist and playwright who’s been styled “poet in residence at Barnsley football club”, and who has worked as poet in residence at English National Opera. He is a frequent guest on television programmes and at literary festivals and stages around the UK.
For your information…
- Phase one tickets will be available from 12noon on Monday 5 February, with phase two tickets available from 12noon on Monday 19 February.
- Tickets are strictly limited to four per person.
- To guarantee your ticket book in advance. There will be some tickets available on the day on a first come, first served basis.
- Please take your seats 10 minutes prior to the event start time otherwise you may lose your place.
Welcome to the Free Thinking Festival from BBC Radio 3. All weekend here at Sage Gateshead we’re gathering together a throng of talented individuals to wrestle, debate and celebrate the theme of this year’s festival: The One and the Many. Whether it’s the impact of social media,...