- What's On
- Courses, Classes and Workshops
- News & Blogs
- Your Visit
- About Us
- Venue Hire
Ian McMillan presents a special Sunday morning journey into poetry and the spoken word.
On stage he’s joined by Sinéad Morrissey, Professor of Creative Writing at Newcastle University, who won the Forward Prize for her collection called On Balance and who is celebrated for poetry that “successfully comes right up to the edge, again and again”– she’ll share a brand new commission written for The Verb.
Ian will also be joined by Tom Jackson, writer and curator of old postcards, who shares his delight in their ‘weird, wonderful and entertaining’ messages on social media . He is also the author of Postcard from the Past.
He also welcomes Verb New Voice Sarah Sayeed, from Manchester, who will present her evocative new audio drama My Heroes Are Behind Me, which looks at the lives of women who have been erased from the canon of history. Verb New Voices is a joint initiative between BBC Radio 3, New Writing North, The Writing Squad and Arvon.
Ian McMillan is a poet, journalist and playwright who has worked as poet in residence at English National Opera. He is a frequent guest on television programmes and at literary festivals and stages around the UK.
For your information…
- Phase one tickets will be available from 12noon on Monday 5 February, with phase two tickets available from 12noon on Monday 19 February.
- Tickets are strictly limited to four per person.
- To guarantee your ticket book in advance. There will be some tickets available on the day on a first come, first served basis.
- Please take your seats 10 minutes prior to the event start time otherwise you may lose your place.
Welcome to the Free Thinking Festival from BBC Radio 3. All weekend here at Sage Gateshead we’re gathering together a throng of talented individuals to wrestle, debate and celebrate the theme of this year’s festival: The One and the Many. Whether it’s the impact of social media,...