- What's On
- Next 7 Days
- Show Me Everything
- Current Events Diary
- Gateshead International Jazz Festival
- SummerTyne Americana Festival
- Great Exhibition of the North
- Classical Season
- New Year New Artists
- For Families
- Festivals & Series
- Royal Northern Sinfonia
- Folkworks Summer Schools
- BBC Radio 3 Free Thinking Festival
- Courses, Classes and Workshops
- News & Blogs
- Your Visit
- About Us
- Venue Hire
How can we tell the truth to those who hold power over us – a President or a monarch? Five hundred years ago a miscalculation on this front could leave you without a head. Today, the personal stakes may not be as high, but globally, we’ve never had so much to lose.
Renaissance historian Dr Joanne Paul takes us back to the 16th and 17th century techniques for challenging the establishment – such as satire, flattery and document “leaks” – some of which are familiar to us today, and others which we may want to revive. It’s all about collectively keeping our heads.
New Generation Thinkers is a scheme run by BBC Radio 3 and the Arts and Humanities Research Council to select 10 academics each year who can turn their research into radio.
For your information…
- Phase one tickets will be available from 12noon on Monday 5 February, with phase two tickets available from 12noon on Monday 19 February.
- Tickets are strictly limited to four per person.
- To guarantee your ticket book in advance. There will be some tickets available on the day on a first come, first served basis.
- Please take your seats 10 minutes prior to the event start time otherwise you may lose your place.
Welcome to the Free Thinking Festival from BBC Radio 3. All weekend here at Sage Gateshead we’re gathering together a throng of talented individuals to wrestle, debate and celebrate the theme of this year’s festival: The One and the Many. Whether it’s the impact of social media,...