- What's On
- Courses, Classes and Workshops
- News & Blogs
- Your Visit
- About Us
- Venue Hire
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is playing an increasingly ubiquitous role in our lives. From diagnosing diseases and designing buildings to deciding what news we should read and who we should date the algorithm rules us all, and soon it may even be driving our cars and fighting our wars. How can we make sense of our new place in the universe and what kind of sense will AI make of us? And, as the 40th anniversary of BBC Radio 4’s Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is celebrated, how did its creator Douglas Adams foresee the world of superintelligence?
New Generation Thinker Dr Simon Beard is a postdoctoral researcher at the Centre for the Study of Existential Risk at the University of Cambridge.
New Generation Thinkers is a scheme run by BBC Radio 3 and the Arts and Humanities Research Council to select ten academics each year who can turn their research into radio.
For your information…
- Phase one tickets will be available from 12noon on Monday 5 February, with phase two tickets available from 12noon on Monday 19 February.
- Tickets are strictly limited to four per person.
- To guarantee your ticket book in advance. There will be some tickets available on the day on a first come, first served basis.
- Please take your seats 10 minutes prior to the event start time otherwise you may lose your place.
Welcome to the Free Thinking Festival from BBC Radio 3. All weekend here at Sage Gateshead we’re gathering together a throng of talented individuals to wrestle, debate and celebrate the theme of this year’s festival: The One and the Many. Whether it’s the impact of social media,...