- What's On
- Courses, Classes and Workshops
- News & Blogs
- Your Visit
- About Us
- Venue Hire
Integration Station at Benfield School
Integration Station is a project delivered by staff from Sage Gateshead‘s Accessible Learning Strand. The team work with young people with disabilities (who need have no previous musical experience) and young people and volunteers without disabilities from Sage Gateshead’s Voltage volunteering and Youth Leadership programmes (who are musicians) to create an inclusive band. Participants are supported to create new music together and work towards a performance.
Over the course of the project participants identify and explore areas of musical skill and interest. The team also support participants to find activities in their own local community where they can further share their interests with others as part of the wider Music Connect project’s brokerage service.
Aims and objective
Participants with special educational needs (SEN) living in Newcastle are supported to:
- develop musical, group work, social and communication skills and experience group musical activity
- develop confidence and self esteem, group and social skills though music activity which includes non-disabled volunteers
- be part of a cohesive band where social relationships underpin musical fun and development
- experiment in music and to discover their own musicality
- take part in a positive musical experience with other young people with different needs and abilities
- create new music through song writing sessions with young people with disabilities and young musicians
- perform the works created at local and regional events
- share their newly developed skills at an appropriate activity in their local community
- mix and socialise as equal co-participants in a musical activity
Participants are referred through our Music Connect partnership.
Dates and Times
Tuesdays 4.30 – 6.00pm in the MEC at Sage Gateshead (term time only).
- Michael Dollan – Accessible Learning Strand Leader and Project Delivery
- Klaire Jamieson – Project Musician
- Mariam Razaie – Community Music Trainee
- Calum Howard – Community Music Trainee