Concerts and Tours Manager (Royal Northern Sinfonia)
Application closing date extended to 9.00am Friday 28th April 2017
Previous applicants need not apply
Introduction to Sage Gateshead
Founded in 2004, Sage Gateshead has an international reputation as a new centre for music combining performance, education and participation working across a wide range of musical genres and reaching a broad audience. Founded with a mixed business model, the charity’s turnover of £15million combines, box office, commercial, fundraised income with public subsidy.
Sage Gateshead runs:
- A Performance Programme of events and festivals across musical genres (folk, classical, rock, indie, jazz, electronic) for 360 days of the year
- Royal Northern Sinfonia, the UK’s only full time contract chamber orchestra
- One of the largest Music Learning & Participation Programmes in the UK
- One of the biggest conference and events businesses in the region
- A folk development agency, Folkworks
- An iconic visitor attraction, designed by Foster + Partners on the banks of the Tyne with a large public space, three auditoriums and 25 learning spaces
In 2014/15 Sage Gateshead delivered:
- 623 performance events
- 13,045 courses, classes and workshops
- 64 conferences
- 22 premieres and commissions
- 105 broadcasts
In 2014 Sage Gateshead completed its first decade. During this period the charity had:
- 6 million visitors
- 1.5 million participants
- 1000 conferences
- 4000 concerts
- £283 million of economic benefit to the region
Job Title: Concerts & Tours Manager
Department & Team: RNS & Classical Team
Location: Sage Gateshead (will include some travel)
Salary: c. £24,000-£27,000 per annum
Working Hours: 36 hours per week, will include some weekend and evening work
Position in Organisation
Reports to: Classical Music Producer
Responsible for: Concerts Assistant, Librarian
Works in conjunction with: Orchestra Manager, Assistant Platform & Orchestra Manager, RNS Players and MU rep, Marketing Manager and Learning & Participation colleagues
Budget accountability: Authorisation limit of £3,000. As part of the classical team, will be responsible for the management of up to £1.1m
Overall purpose of the job
As part of the classical team the Concerts & Tours Manager is responsible for logistical management of Royal Northern Sinfonia for all its activity both at Sage Gateshead and at external venues, as well as leading on the planning of all UK and international tours.
Duties & Responsibilities
Manage Royal Northern Sinfonia Schedules and Forward Planner using OPAS and department planning tools, coordinating information throughout the classical team, and related departments:
- Liaising with artists, agents, external venues and internal colleagues to create full working schedules for Royal Northern Sinfonia, including full rehearsal orders, personnel requirements and other relevant details.
- Using OPAS to prepare and manage the distribution of the monthly RNS schedule, and draft schedule.
- Working with the Classical Music Producer to prepare and distribute a regular forward planner.
- Ensuring that the schedule adheres to the Royal Northern Sinfonia contract.
- Working closely with the Orchestra Manager, Librarian and Concerts Assistant to ensure that all relevant parties both in the orchestra and the rest of the company are given all the relevant information required to support the work of Royal Northern Sinfonia and the classical programme through company software including OPAS, Artifax, and other internal systems, in a timely fashion
Manage the visits by guest conductors and soloists, arranging contracts, travel, accommodation and schedules:
- Liaising with artists and agents to create and issue a full schedule of work for all guest conductors and soloists.
- Managing welcome/caretaking/provision at SG for guest artists
- Overseeing the work of Concerts Assistant and Department Administrator on the travel arrangements (both long distance and local) and accommodation for guest conductors and soloists.
- Oversee the arrangements for visiting ensembles, and classical non-commercial hire clients
Manage individual activity budgets and report the results through monthly management accounts:
- Ensuring that all equipment and services procured for Royal Northern Sinfonia by Concerts Assistant and other members of the team are sourced referring to set budgets.
- Supporting the Classical Music Producer in the setting of budgets; especially for tours, providing information about current costs of equipment and services.
- Managing the classical team’s interaction with the company finance procedures.
- Keeping accurate and clear records of expenditure and contribute to the monthly financial reporting through Management Accounts.
Manage rehearsals, concerts and recordings, providing all the necessary resources and travel for the orchestra and its equipment:
- Using the internal company systems, including Artifax, ensure that suitable venues are booked for all Royal Northern Sinfonia activity.
- Using the internal company systems, including Artifax, ensure that all resources (chairs, music stands etc) are provided for all Royal Northern Sinfonia activity.
- Working with the classical team to ensure that all necessary Royal Northern Sinfonia specific equipment, including instruments and music are provided for the orchestra’s activity.
- Overseeing the work of the Concerts Assistant in liaising with external UK promoters, to ensure that all the orchestra’s requirements are met, regarding travel and accommodation for UK concerts.
Lead on the logistical planning of regional, national and international tours:
- Liaising with promoters, agents and specialist travel agencies on all travel and accommodation arrangements
- Drafting tour schedules in collaboration with Director of RNS and MU rep, in line with MU contract regulations
- Overseeing the plans for venue arrangements, equipment transport, including export licenses and carnets
- Arranging any necessary travel documents including visas and work permits, and making financial arrangements, such as per diems, with assistance from the Concerts Assistant
Other duties and information:
- As part of the classical team the Concerts & Tours Manager will be required to travel with the orchestra on a team rota
- Duty-manage some rehearsals, concerts and recordings as part of a team rota, providing on-the-day logistical support and artist care
- Attend internal company meetings on behalf of the Classical team.
- Work closely with the Director, Royal Northern Sinfonia and Classical Music Programme and Classical Music Producer on any other specific projects that occur.
- Attend the bi-monthly Royal Northern Sinfonia Players’ Committee Meetings
- Undertake other duties appropriate to the post and in line with the needs of the organisation.
Knowledge, experience and skills required to do job
- Relevant Degree level or equivalent qualification.
- Three years experience working within the classical music industry.
- Experience in working with budgets.
- Excellent attention to detail and communication skills.
- Excellent skills in forward planning.
- Excellent skills in logistical planning and problem solving.
- Good working knowledge of current orchestral working practices.
- Good knowledge of classical repertoire.
- Good knowledge of budget management and relevant IT software.
- Ability to interact with a wide variety of people from high profile artists to team members to external venue staff.
- Team player able to understand the complexities of producing a year round classical series balanced with regional, national and international concert dates.
- This role will involve a degree of manual handling and some long shifts.
- This role will include some national and international travel and therefore a willingness to travel, is required.
- A full driving licence is also required.
- A passion for classical and orchestral music and working with musicians.
- Music Degree.
- Working within the orchestral sector.
- Working within the constraints of MU contracts.
- Working with OPAS.
- This role may occasionally include driving the orchestra van and confidence in driving larger vehicles would be an advantage.
Terms and Conditions
We believe Sage Gateshead is a great place to work – an innovative and friendly environment, where no two days are ever the same.
The holiday entitlement for this post is 33 days pa pro rata (including statutory holidays).
The salary for this post is c. £24,000-£27,000 per annum
We also offer subsidised parking for staff members, as well as a discount in our café, and access to a voluntary health cash plan, bike to work scheme, childcare vouchers and travel ticket scheme.
How to Apply
Applications must be made on a North Music Trust online application form.
We regret that CV’s cannot be accepted. If you have any queries about your application please contact 0191 443 4624
Completed applications should be returned no later than 9.00am on Friday 28th April 2017