Conference and Events Manager
Application closing date: 9am on Friday 26th May 2017
Introduction to Sage Gateshead
Founded in 2004, Sage Gateshead has an international reputation as a new centre for music combining performance, education and participation working across a wide range of musical genres and reaching a broad audience. Founded with a mixed business model, the charity’s turnover of £15million combines box office, commercial, fundraised income with public subsidy.
Sage Gateshead runs:
- One of the largest Music Learning & Participation Programmes in the UK
- A Performance Programme of events and festivals across musical genres (folk, classical, rock, indie, jazz, electronic) for 360 days of the year
- One of the biggest conference and events businesses in the region
- Royal Northern Sinfonia, the UK’s only full-time contract chamber orchestra
- A folk development agency, Folkworks
- An iconic visitor attraction, designed by Foster + Partners on the banks of the Tyne with a large public space, three auditoriums and 25 learning spaces.
In 2014/15 Sage Gateshead delivered:
- 623 performance events
- 13,045 courses, classes and workshops
- 64 conferences
- 22 premieres and commissions
- 105 broadcasts
In 2014 Sage Gateshead completed its first decade. During this period the charity had:
- 6 million visitors
- 1.5 million participants
- 1000 conferences
- 4000 concerts
- £283 million of economic benefit to the region
Overall purpose & nature of the job
The Conference and Events department is responsible for managing a portfolio of commercial conferences and events that generate income to support the charitable aims of the organisation. The portfolio focuses on business that isn’t directly music or learning related. There is a broad spectrum of clients, across many sectors, including Corporate, Association and Private Client.
The post holder will lead the operational team in delivering all event activity, ensuring high standards of delivery and contributing to the department’s financial targets, with a focus on account management.
Job Title: Conference and Events Manager
Department & Team: Conference and Events
Location: Sage Gateshead, with some travel beyond
Working Hours: 36 hours with some evening and weekend work as required
Salary and scale: c. £25,000
Position in Organisation
Reports to: Head of Conference and Events
Responsible for: Event Producers and Event Liaisons
Works in conjunction with: All internal departments, clients, agencies and stakeholders
Budget accountability: Yes
To oversee and deliver the Conference and Events programme:
- To lead the operational team in effectively planning and delivering a programme of conferences and events, utilising the various planning software and systems.
- To research and implement new event techniques and technologies, ensuring Sage Gateshead is at the forefront of the industry in relation to event delivery.
- To lead the operational team in working with other departments (including customer experience, catering, tech and facilities) to plan events and ensure they are delivered to the highest possible standards.
- To work with the Business Systems Coordinator to develop and implement a system of gathering and analysing client feedback.
- Ensure that all events are delivered in line with appropriate health and safety requirements.
Finance and budget accountability:
- To lead the operational team in ensuring strong financial control and planning is maintained.
- To work alongside the Sales Manager to identify and actively sell secondary products and services to achieve pre-determined budgets.
- To lead the operational team in account managing existing clients, to ensure best levels of repeat business and the development of key accounts.
To lead an effective team:
- Line manage, develop and support the operational team, meeting recruitment, induction, line management and PDR standards of the company and assisting them in achieving their KPI’s.
- To assist on training and development, including delivery of training sessions where appropriate.
To undertake all other tasks as may be required to deliver the role.
Knowledge, experience and skills required to do job
- Degree or equivalent level of education
- 3 years experience and proven track record in event management or production within an agency or venue environment
- Line management experience
- Experience of working with sales targets and a proven record of account management
- Experience of contract and supplier negotiations
- An enthusiasm for working in a customer focused environment with a proven track record in customer care
- An excellent knowledge of MICE industry trends
- A creative approach to event production and design
- A solid understanding of health and safety practices
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to create and sustain working partnerships; work as part of a close knit team and with colleagues, clients and stakeholders
- Well developed research, analytical, numerical, administrative and presentational skills
- Organisational skills including the ability to meet deadlines, attention to detail and the ability to prioritise and manage projects effectively and deal with a number of projects concurrently
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to write clear, well structured and relevant proposals and reports
- Advanced IT skills (we currently run Windows, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and ACT, Artifax and Tessitura)
- Ability to travel with the role
- A vehicle and clean driving license would be advantageous
Terms and Conditions
We believe Sage Gateshead is a great place to work – an innovative and friendly environment, where no two days are ever the same.
The holiday entitlement for this post is 33 days pa pro rata (including statutory holidays).
The salary for this post is c. £25,000.
We also offer subsidised parking for staff members, as well as a discount in our café, and access to a voluntary health cash plan, bike to work scheme, childcare vouchers and travel ticket scheme.
How to Apply
Applications must be made on a North Music Trust online application form.
We regret that CV’s cannot be accepted. If you have any queries about your application please contact 0191 443 5259
Completed applications should be returned no later than 9.00am on Friday 26th May 2017
Please note if you have not been contacted by Monday 5th June 2017 your application has not been successful