Application closing date 9am on Friday 22nd June 2018
Introduction to Sage Gateshead
Founded in 2004, Sage Gateshead has an international reputation as a new centre for music combining performance, education and participation working across a wide range of musical genres and reaching a broad audience. It is also one of the region’s leading conference centres. Founded with a mixed business model, the charity’s turnover of £15 million combines, box office, commercial, fundraised income with public subsidy.
Sage Gateshead runs:
- A Performance Programme of events and festivals across musical genres (folk, classical, rock, indie, jazz, electronic) for 360 days of the year (1700 seater and 600 seater venues)
- Royal Northern Sinfonia, the UK’s only full time contract chamber orchestra
- One of the largest Creative Learning Programmes in the UK
- One of the biggest Conference and Events businesses in the North
- A folk development agency, Folkworks
- An iconic visitor attraction, designed by Foster + Partners on the banks of the Tyne with a large public space, three auditoriums and 25 learning spaces.
In 2014 Sage Gateshead completed its first decade. During this period the charity had:
- 6 million visitors
- 1.5 million participants
- 1000 conferences
- 4000 concerts
- £283 million of economic benefit to the region.
In 2016/17 Sage Gateshead delivered:
- 451 performance events
- 10,609 classes and workshops
- 112 conferences and events
- 39 premieres and commissions
- 11 broadcasts.
About the role
A superb opportunity has arisen for apprentice candidates that want to learn to become an Accounts Assistant for the first time. We will offer a wide range of experience and learning opportunities in order to build your skills, confidence and knowledge which gives you a higher chance of employability. You will be willing to work towards the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) qualification.
Job Title: Finance Apprentice
Location: Sage Gateshead
Working Hours: 36 hours per week
Salary: £6,900 pro rata per annum/£3.70 per hour
Position in Organisation
Reports to: Financial Controller
Responsible for: None
Works in conjunction with: Finance team
Budget responsibility: None
Raising sales invoices, credit notes and customer statements. Assisting with maintenance of debt log:
- To ensure timely, complete and accurate sales invoicing.
- To ensure that invoices contain all relevant references (e.g. customer order numbers or other approval information) to facilitate approval and prompt payment by the customer.
- To ensure that appropriate taxes are applied to all invoice line items.
- To ensure that invoices are delivered quickly and cost-effectively to the customer for payment and that proactive steps are taken to ensure that the invoice has been received.
- To review and chase any overdue debts on a regular basis via telephone, email and letter.
- To prepare an accurate aged debt log on a monthly basis for review with the Finance Assistant.
Assisting purchase ledger with RNS imports, invoice tracker and creation of new suppliers:
- Import payments on to Finance system from Classical department using the importer as and when required.
- Entering invoices on to the invoice tracker to ensure invoices can be tracked to departments.
- Assisting with checking new supplier information before it is entered on to the Finance system.
Processing bank transactions and assisting with bank reconciliations:
- Upload the bank statements monthly using the banking online facilities.
- Post all sales ledger receipts on a daily basis.
- Assist with bank reconciliation at month end.
- Keep an audit trail of bank statements.
Preparing monthly accruals and prepayments:
- Maintain a file of invoices to be prepaid.
- Using the file to prepare a monthly journal to prepay relevant invoices.
- Prepare and post standard accruals on a monthly basis.
Maintaining Fixed Asset file:
- Photocopy fixed asset invoices and maintain a file. Assist with reconciliation of Fixed Assets on a monthly basis.
Filing and invoice scanning:
- Ensure filing is maintained on a weekly basis.
- Scan purchase ledger invoices on to the Finance drive.
Any Other Duties:
- To assist with ad-hoc projects as directed by Financial Controller.
Knowledge, experience and skills required to do job
- Maths & English at Grade C or equivalent
- Good IT skills including Excel and Word
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Finance/accounting experience
Terms and Conditions
We believe Sage Gateshead is a great place to work – an innovative and friendly environment, where no two days are ever the same.
The holiday entitlement for this post is 33 days pa pro rata (including statutory holidays).
The salary for this post is £6,900 pro rata per annum/£3.70 per hour.
We also offer subsidised parking for staff members, as well as a discount in our café, and access to a voluntary health cash plan, bike to work scheme, childcare vouchers, travel ticket scheme and auto-enrol pension.
How to Apply
Applications must be made on a North Music Trust online application form.
We regret that CV’s cannot be accepted. If you have any queries about your application please contact 0191 443 4624.
Completed applications should be returned no later than 9am on Friday 22nd June 2018.
Please note if you have not been contacted by Monday 2nd July 2018, then your application has been unsuccessful.