Application closing date: 9am on Thursday 5th July 2018
Introduction to Sage Gateshead
Founded in 2004, Sage Gateshead has an international reputation as a new centre for music combining performance, education and participation working across a wide range of musical genres and reaching a broad audience. It is also one of the region’s leading conference centres. Founded with a mixed business model, the charity’s turnover of £15million combines, box office, commercial, fundraised income with public subsidy.
Sage Gateshead runs:
- Royal Northern Sinfonia, the UK’s only full-time contract chamber orchestra
- One of the largest Music Creative Learning Programmes in the UK
- A Performance Programme of events and festivals across musical genres (folk, classical, rock, indie, jazz, electronic) for 360 days of the year
- One of the biggest conference and events businesses in the region
- A folk development agency, Folkworks
- An iconic visitor attraction, designed by Foster + Partners on the banks of the Tyne with a large public space, three auditoriums and 25 learning spaces.
- A series of railway arch spaces
In 2014 Sage Gateshead completed its first decade. During this period the charity had:
- 6 million visitors
- 1.5 million participants
- 1000 conferences
- 4000 concerts
- £283 million of economic benefit to the region
In 2016/17 Sage Gateshead delivered:
- 451 Concerts
- 10,609 Workshops
- 112 Conferences & Events
Overall purpose of the job
Sage Gateshead is recruiting a Head Chef to lead & inspire the kitchen team to deliver a first-class hospitality experience.
Job Title: Head Chef
Department & Team: Food and Beverage
Location: Sage Gateshead
Working Hours: 45 hours per week. Evening and weekend work will be required.
Salary: £29,000-£31,000 pro rata per annum
Position in Organisation
Reports to: Food, Beverage and Retail Manager
Responsible for: Kitchen management & food quality
Budget accountability: As delegated by line manager
Main Responsibilities and Duties
- Build an inspired, knowledgeable and well-trained team, overseeing recruitment and training of all kitchen personnel.
- Work closely with the GM and FOH team ensuring exceptional food and service standards across all F&B operations.
- Understanding of growing the F&B operation and achieving all financial targets to ensure your kitchens success.
- Design and implementation of seasonal and new menus when required meeting necessary GP margin.
- Ensuring GP margin is achieved across all food offers and kitchen operations
- Oversee the ordering of food and consumables stocks.
- Build strong supplier relationships.
- Ensure all areas of responsibility are regularly cleaned, kept in good order and meet all requirements of Food Safety Act & Health & Safety Act, achieving excellence in Hygiene standards and full compliance with Health & Safety regulations and Fire Safety policy.
- Operate control systems as defined by the EHO, competing all necessary records.
- Ensure all temperature checks and HACCP documentation are carried out and recorded in due diligence records.
Knowledge, experience and skills required to do job
- Significant experience working within the hospitality industry, including managing food provision for large scale events.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a multi outlet operation.
- Passionate about people – enjoy communicating with team members, suppliers and key clients.
- Passionate about food and hospitality- a natural flare for amazing food quality
- Strong communication skills
- Capability to deliver key business metrics including financial performance, quality standards, employee engagement, food safety management
- Strong leadership skills- confidently able to appoint, develop and inspire high performing kitchen brigade
- Can do attitude
- Hands on experience of designing and costing menus
- High degree of flexibility, can respond to a range of different work situations
- Proven ability to develop best in class sourcing of ingredients
- Passionate about music, culture and the North East
Terms and Conditions
We believe Sage Gateshead is a great place to work – an innovative and friendly environment, where no two days are ever the same.
The holiday entitlement for this post is 33 days pa pro rata (including statutory holidays).
The salary for this post is £29,000-£31,000 pro rata per annum.
We also offer subsidised parking for staff members, as well as a discount in our café, and access to a voluntary health cash plan, bike to work scheme, childcare vouchers and travel ticket scheme.
How to Apply
To apply for this job please submit a full CV and monitoring data form to email@example.com
If you have any queries about your application, please contact 0191 443 4624
Completed applications should be returned no later than 9am on Thursday 5th July 2018.
If you have not been contacted by Friday 13th July 2018 your application has not been successful.
Please note if there is a high volume of applicants this position may close earlier than stated.