Big Sing - Song Commission
Call to artists – Expression of Interest
Sage Gateshead wishes to commission 5 new songs for this year’s Big Sing schools project.
A much-loved annual event, supported by The Kavli Trust and in association with Sing Up, this year’s Big Sing takes on the theme of singing in support of health and wellbeing, bringing calm and happiness to your day. The Big Sing offers schools a great opportunity to learn new repertoire and expand pupils’ musical horizons in a fun and engaging way, culminating in an uplifting summer term performance in Sage One at Sage Gateshead.
The Big Sing package includes:
- A teacher training session at Sage Gateshead, led by Sharon Durant.
- A resource pack and CD
- Access to the digital Big Sing: Big Smile 2019 Play List on the Sing Up Song Bank
- A 2 hour in school singing workshop
- Singing in Sage One at Sage Gateshead with a live band.
Sage Gateshead wishes to commission Artists to create 5 new songs for this year’s Big Sing. The Artists will collaborate with the project team at Sage Gateshead and engage with key stakeholders throughout the process.
The songs will be:
- Themed around ‘Big Smile – singing for health and wellbeing, bringing calm and happiness to your day.’
- Suitable for children and young people at KS2 and KS3 ages 7-13
- For vocal range: Mid C up to C (octave above)
We will consider new arrangements of traditional songs, raps and poems turned into songs where we do not need to seek copyright approval.
Each song will have:
- Lyrics in an MS Word format
- Vocal part: Demonstration performance track as an MP3. If more than one vocal part please include demonstration audio of other vocal parts – one track per part (part should be higher in mix, other parts lower in mix)
- Draft Sibelius file – Containing melody/ies, lyrics, accompaniment and chords (chord names)
- Backing track as an MP3
- For teacher: piano accompaniment, suitable for amateur piano player
- Activity notes in an MS Word format.
The anticipated fee for each commission will be £500.
Commissions need to be completed and submitted by Monday 3rd of December.
Prospective Artists must ensure that all information provided is correct.
How to apply:
Artists interested in this opportunity must submit an Expression Of Interest via e-mail by: Friday, 9th Nov, 2018 by 4:00 p.m. EST.
E-mail to: email@example.com
Subject title: E.O.I Big Sing: Big Smile Song Commission
Expressoins of Interest (E.O.I.) must contain the following:
- Artist Statement: no longer than one page in length, outlining your artistic practice, why this commission is of interest to you and your potential song idea.
- Links/attachments to no more than 3 videos or audio files