- What's On
- Courses, Classes and Workshops
- News & Blogs
- Your Visit
- About Us
- Venue Hire
Access Statement for Sage Gateshead
Sage Gateshead is one of the world’s foremost venues for all types of music. We run lots of classes, workshops, and sessions for adults and children in our Learning and Participation programme both in the building and around the region. We also host conferences, meetings, weddings, and other private functions.
We are committed to a policy of accessibility for all to ensure that every effort is made so that neither by action nor inaction will any individual or group be unreasonably excluded from any activities, facilities, or services offered.
We have won the North East England Tourism Gold Award 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Sage Gateshead is a landmark building and easy to find, whether you arrive by foot, bike, bus, car, or train. We are located on Gateshead Quays between the Tyne and Gateshead Millennium Bridges.
- Sage Gateshead is located on the south side of the River Tyne, 0.6 miles from Gateshead Metro Interchange.
- All of our concert tickets entitle a customer to one free return journey on the Metro service. (Find out more)
- Exit onto West Street. Turn left and walk down to the traffic lights. Turn right onto Askew Road, straight over the traffic lights at the end of the Tyne Bridge and then left at the next traffic lights onto Oakwellgate. Sage Gateshead is on your right. This walk takes about ten minutes. For more information visit www.nexus.org.uk/metro.
- You can also travel from Gateshead Metro to Sage Gateshead via Quaylink bus, which runs from the Interchange to Sage Gateshead approximately every 15 minutes.
- All Quaylink buses have kneeling suspension and telescopic ramps for wheelchair access.
- Real time bus information is displayed at the West entrance and exit.
Find out more at www.simplygo.com.
- For selected classical season concerts we provide a dedicated bus service over three routes: Hexham & Corbridge, and Alnwick & Morpeth via Felton, and Carlisle. Tickets cost £6.50 and should be booked in advance through our Ticket Office.
From the A1(M) / A1:
- Take the exit signposted (from the South) Gateshead and Newcastle (Centre) A184 or (from the North) Gateshead A184.
- Keep in the left-hand lane of A184 signposted Gateshead town centre.
- At roundabout, take third exit, signposted Gateshead town centre.
- Go straight through two sets of traffic lights.
- Get into the right hand lane to go straight over at a third set of lights. At the fourth set of lights, turn left onto Oakwellgate and immediately right under the railway bridge up the steep slope into our car park, or second right to the drop-off point, or blue badge parking.
From Newcastle Centre:
- From the Tyne Bridge, go through the pedestrian traffic lights, under the railway bridge and straight across the next traffic lights.
- At the next lights, take the left signed Gateshead Quays and East Gateshead (NOT the loop signed Consett or Metro Centre).
- At the first lights with Mecca Bingo on your right, turn left onto Oakwellgate.
- Stay in the right hand lane under the railway bridge and take first right into our car park or second right to the drop-off point or blue badge parking.
From the Swing Bridge:
- Go straight up Bridge Street, which turns into Cannon Street.
- As the road bears round to the right, go left for the drop-off point or blue badge parking or follow the road right into Oakwellgate and take the first left to our car park just before the railway bridge.
- There is a drop-off and collection point at the west door of Sage Gateshead.
Sage Gateshead has its own car park with lift access situated directly behind the building.
Car Parking Charges:
- Up to 30 minute: FREE – go straight to the exit with your ticket.
- Up to 1 hour: £1.90
- Up to 2 hours: £3.50
- 3 hours or more: £4.80 – Pre-payment required before entering the building.
If you are staying for 3 hours or more and pre-payment is not made, then an hourly rate of £1.60 will apply to your visit. Pre-payment charges will cover until 6am the following day, at which point an hourly rate of £1.90 will apply.
Payment machines are available at the top and bottom of the car park stairs. You can pay by cash or debit/credit cards. The machines provide change and there is a free cash machine inside the building next to our ticket office.
Blue Badge Holders
- There are a number of priority spaces for blue badge holders near to the West entrance and rear to Sage Gateshead as well as in our car park by the lifts.
To the west of the building in the ‘Turning circle’ used for public transport and drop offs:
- There are 3 Blue Badge bays are located next to the west entrance of the building, these are the closest spaces with a short flat surfaced walk to the main doors (approx 40 average steps).
- There are 34 blue badge bays immediately to the rear of the building, providing flat gently sloping path-ways to both the West and East entrances (Both entrances have accessible automatic doorways).
In Sage Gateshead’s Car Park, drive up the ramp signed P (Parking).
- Blue Badge bays account for 15% of our car parking, in the main car park and parking is FREE for Blue Badge holders – just visit coats desk by the West Doors for FREE exit ticket.
- As the main Car Park is above ground level, you will need to use either steps or one of two lifts to travel to ground level. There are lifts from the car park to ground level and have both visual and Braille signage.
- Level access to the building is available on the east and west sides, with a gentle gradient in places. Revolving doors and automated access doors are located at both the east and west entrances.
Call us on 0191 443 4661 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In person/by phone
The Customer Service Team at Sage Gateshead will be happy to help you in person or on the telephone, seven days a week – 12noon – 8pm on show days and 12noon – 6pm on non show days. (Tickets for classes taking place in The Greggs Children’s Room before 12noon can be purchased from Welcome Desk.)
You can book online 24 hours a day. View what’s on and book tickets now.
You can send us a letter detailing your ticket requirements to;
St. Mary’s Square
Please state which performances (date and time) and which ticket area you require, include any specific requirements (e.g. aisle seat), and ensure your name, address, phone number and cheque guarantee card number is on the reverse of your cheque, made payable to Sage Gateshead.
To ensure that the entire community can access our events and services, we are happy to provide a complimentary ticket to one accompanying personal assistant in the circumstances where a disabled person would otherwise be at a substantial disadvantage without the assistance. A complimentary ticket for a personal assistant is available on the terms below.
Personal Assistant Admission
Provided that you purchase a valid ticket for yourself, you are entitled to apply for one complimentary ticket for the same event, for the person that is accompanying you as your personal assistant. The personal assistant must be able to provide you with appropriate assistance, which might be:
a) Assisting you in moving around the venue.
b) Helping you to evacuate the venue in the case of emergency.
c) Accompanying and/or assisting you in using the venues facilities.
d) Assisting you in purchasing refreshments.
Personal Assistance Ticket Conditions
The personal assistance ticket will carry the same terms and conditions as the admission ticket that you hold.
The criteria for complimentary personal assistant admission are periodically reviewed and we reserve the right to update them when we feel it is necessary. Currently those who receive one of the following benefits are eligible to apply for a free personal assistant ticket:
a. Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
b. Attendance Allowance (AA)
c. Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
d. Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
Additionally people who are Registered Blind are also eligible.
Please note that, in all cases, North Music Trust reserves the right to decline to accept an application or request additional evidence if, in North Music Trust’s view and discretion, there is reasonable doubt that the applicant would be at a disadvantage in attending without a personal assistant given the accessible facilities and services available at our venue.
Proof of Eligibility
To prove eligibility you will need to provide the following in respect of one of the benefits referred to in point 3.
a) A copy of the awarding letter from DWP or statement confirming receipt of the allowance; and
b) Photo ID which matches the details of the recipient above.
c) If you are registered blind, a photocopy of certification and matching photo ID is required.
Please note that a Blue Badge is not accepted as evidence of eligibility.
Alternatively, North Music Trust recommends the CredAbility Access Card to our customers. This card is accepted on its own without any additional evidence required. It can be used both in person and while making telephone purchases at Sage Gateshead. You can apply for a card online at www.credability.uk.com/access-card. Please note this card cannot be used to purchase tickets online.
Assistance Dogs are welcome at our venue, without any additional charge, subject to production of a valid identification document from Assistance Dog (UK) or equivalent international organisation. A separate ticket is not required, however we ask customers to inform our team prior to the day of the event so that any necessary arrangements can be made.
Sage Gateshead is a public building and you are welcome to visit at any time during opening hours. As well as access to The Sir Michael Straker Cafe, Brasserie, Children’s Playspace and Shop, visitors are also able to take a look inside both Sage One and Sage Two via our viewing galleries. (We sometimes need to close the viewing galleries, so please check before you travel). Free Wi-Fi is available throughout building.
The building is open from 9am – 11pm on performance days and 9am – 10pm on non-performance days during term time. (9am – 8pm non performance days during school holidays.) Please note these times may vary, please call welcome desk on 0191 443 4666 to confirm. Last entry to the building is 30 minutes before it closes.
If you enter by the West entrance (the Tyne Bridge side) we have immediate level access to the Welcome Desk, free Coats Desk, our Cafe, Brasserie and Bar.
To the East entrance you will come face to face with the Ticket Office and the Shop. All Halls, facilities and services are available via either door.
Sage Gateshead has 4 lifts to provide assistance to higher levels and to gain entry to the halls for concerts.
Sage One is a spectacular wood-panelled auditorium boasting world-class acoustics and a seating capacity of up to 1,640. Sage One can accommodate 20 wheelchairs over all three levels to ensure seats are available in all price zones.
Sage Two is a distinctive ten-sided theatre designed to complement the larger Hall One. This hall offers a more informal and intimate environment. Sage Two has a standard of 4 wheelchair spaces, but can accommodate more if required. It is split over three levels, and has flexible performance layouts.
Northern Rock Foundation Hall
Northern Rock Foundation Hall is a stunning wood-panelled hall situated in the centre of the building. It is the rehearsal space for our orchestra, Royal Northern Sinfonia, and is sound isolated. It is flat surface space.
The Barbour Room is situated behind Hall Two and is the primary function room for conferences, events and banquets. This versatile flat space is set back from the main body of the building. It has its own glass balcony and toilet facilities.
Cafe / Brasserie
Our cafe and Brasserie chairs do not have arm rests allowing for easy transfer from wheelchairs. Both catering areas offer a variety of food options including; vegan, Vegetarian, small portion options and a children’s menu. Nursing mothers are welcome to nurse in the Cafe, Brasserie and all Front of House areas.
Bar facilities are available on concourse level as well as every level of Hall One and Level 1 of Hall Two.
Music Education Centre
The Music Education Centre is one level below ground floor and can be accessed by stairs or lift. We have 26 Music Education Class rooms.
The Greggs Children’s Room
Is a safe workshop space for our family workshops and classes, it is immediately accessible via the west doors, there is space to park a pushchair directly outside the room. Changing facilities and toilets are available in the room.
- There are 34 designated award-winning accessible toilet facilities throughout the building they can be found on every level of the building.
- WC facility is provided on level 1, with an overhead tracking hoist, changing table and a shower. The safe working load (SWL) of the overhead tracking hoist is 200kg or 440lbs
- Adult changing facilities with showers and hoist available. Customers who may require the use of the hoist are advised to bring their own sling.
- Unisex Baby Change facilities are available on every level of the building.
Welcome and Coats Desk
Our Welcome Desk is open from 9am – 5.30pm and offers a pre-bookable access assistance service you can contact them directly on 0191 443 4666 to book:
- Infra-red Sennheiser hearing loop receivers,
- Staff Assistance from car park to building
All equipment can be hired free of charge and can be collected from our Coats Desk. We offer a free Coats Desk facility.
We have a fun and quirky gift shop, accessible directly via the East doors on the flat level. The shop is open during building opening times.
- There is permanent high-contrast building signage throughout.
- Braille signage can be found in the lifts, toilets and on the staircases inside the building.
- A building evacuation plan is in place. If this is a concern, please ask for further detail from the Duty Manager.
- Personal evacuation plans for customers with very specific access requirements are available. Please contact us in advance of your visit.
- In the event of evacuation we use Evacuation Chairs with a Max 136 KG load and a stair climber, which takes a max load of 130 KG.
- We have two fire protected lifts for use in the event of evacuation, one for each Hall.
Special Effects /extreme noise / Strobe Lighting
- These effects can be used during performances and will be signed on entrance to the Hall, Please ask if you require further information.
St Mary’s Square
Welcome Desk : 0191 443 4666
Ticket Office: 0191443 4661